There exists a newer version of this page and the content below may be outdated. See https://quodlibet.readthedocs.org/en/latest for the latest documentation.
This page is directed at distributions, packagers and developers. Please contact us if there is anything unclear / out of date / missing. For license & copyright information see License & Contributors
- Mutagen 1.30 required
- GTK+ 3.10 required
- PyGObject 3.10 required
- webkitgtk-3.0 → webkit2gtk-4.0 (Lyrics Window plugin)
- sphinx 1.3 required for building the documentation
- New optional plugin dependency: libappindicator-gtk3 + typelibs: for the Tray Icon plugin under Ubuntu Unity and KDE Plasma
- python-musicbrainzngs instead of python-musicbrainz2
- python-cddb no longer needed
- Mutagen 1.27 required
- The main repo moved from Mercurial (Google Code) to Git (GitHub)
- The build should now be reproducible
- gtk-update-icon-cache is no longer a build dependency
- gettext >= 0.15 is required now at build time
- A complete icon theme is now required (this was also partly the case with 3.3) and an icon theme including symbolic icons is recommended. adwaita-icon-theme provides both for example.
- Mutagen 1.22 required, Mutagen 1.27 recommended
- New files installed to
- quodlibet.desktop now contains a MimeType entry, which means calling update-desktop-database is needed after package installation.
- New optional plugin dependency: webkitgtk-3.0 + typelibs
- Mutagen 1.27 recommended
- Plugins got merged into Quod Libet. This means the quodlibet-plugins
tarball is gone and plugins will be installed by
setup.py install. For distros that used to include the plugins in the main package this means all plugin related packaging code can simply be removed. For distros that offered separate packages the installation can be split by packaging
quodlibet/extin a separate package. Quod Libet can run without it.
- UDisks2 is supported, in addition to UDisks1
- Python 2.7 required instead of 2.6 (might still work, but not tested)
- No changes compared to 3.0
The following distributions package Quod Libet:
- Arch Linux: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/quodlibet/
- Debian: https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/quodlibet
- Fedora: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/package/quodlibet/
The Ubuntu PPA / unstable repo builds are automated by the following scripts:
Non-Optional Runtime Dependencies¶
The following software is needed to start Ex Falso or Quod Libet.
- Python (2.7)
- PyGObject including cairo support (>= 3.10)
- pycairo (>= 1.8)
- mutagen (>= 1.30)
- GTK+ (>= 3.10)
- On Windows only: pywin32
- On OS X only: PyObjC
For icons a complete icon theme is needed, preferably with symbolic icons. For example adwaita-icon-theme or the older gnome-icon-theme + gnome-icon-theme-symbolic
For playback support in Quod Libet one of the following two is needed:
- GStreamer (>= 1.0) + typelibs
- GStreamer Plugins Base: Vorbis, Alsa, ...
- Optional but recommended:
- GStreamer Plugins Good: Pulseaudio, FLAC, Jack, ...
- GStreamer Plugins Ugly: MP3 (mad), ...
- GStreamer Plugins Bad: MP3 (mpg123), MP4, Opus, ...
- GStreamer libav/ffmpeg: WMA, ...
- xine-lib 1.1 or 1.2 (the shared library, no Python bindings)
Optional Runtime Dependencies¶
- Enables the DBus interface
- Multimedia key support under GNOME
- pyhook (Windows only):
- Multimedia key support under Windows
- libkeybinder-3.0 + typelib:
- Multimedia key support under non Gnome setups
- libgpod4 (the shared library, no Python bindings):
- iPod support
- libgtksourceview-3 + typelib:
- Undo/Redo support for multiline text fields
- For detection of DAPs
- udisks or udisks2:
- For detection of DAPs
- For the feed browser
- For MOD support
All plugin dependencies are optional and will only prevent the corresponding plugin from loading.
- notification-daemon (or any other implementation of the dbus spec):
- For the notification plugin
- For the musicbrainz plugin
- GStreamer Plugins Good:
- For the replaygain plugin
- GStreamer Plugins Bad:
- For the acoustid plugin
- “Browse Folders”
- Screensaver plugins
- uPnP server
- Gnome search provider
- gajim status updater
- The uPnP media server
- Zeitgeist Python bindings:
- For the zeitgeist plugin
- For the auto library update plugin
- webkit2gtk (== 4.0) + typelibs:
- For the Lyrics Window plugin
- libappindicator-gtk3 + typelibs:
- For the Tray Icon plugin under Ubuntu Unity and KDE Plasma
- Python 2.7 (stdlib only)
- gettext >= 0.15 and intltool for translations.
- (optional) sphinx >= 1.3
For user documentation
setup.py build_sphinx can be used to create the
HTML user guide and put it in the build directory in the
subdirectory. This is not part of the default build process and requires